Washington – Today Rep. Mike Thompson (CA-05) announced the recipients of the Fifth Congressional District’s Public Safety Hero of the Year Award. Each year, Thompson honors law enforcement officers and first responders in our community who have gone above and beyond the call of duty. For Napa County, Napa Police Detective Garrett Smith and Scott Rose of Napa Emergency Services have been selected.
“Our local public safety officers are some of our most vital community members, putting their lives on the line to keep us safe and often working overtime during emergencies, such as our recent fires,” said Thompson. “I am humbled to once again present my Annual Public Safety Hero Award to the local law enforcement officers and first responders who demonstrate exceptional courage and dedication day in and day out. It is an incredible honor to represent so many dedicated and heroic public servants.”
Each year, Thompson honors one local law enforcement officer and one local first responder from each county with the Public Safety Hero award.
Napa Police Detective Garrett Smith is being honored for his hard work and experience as a detective and for his response to the tragic shooting at the Yountville Veterans Home in 2018 where acted quickly and professionally to help save lives.
Scott Rose has been a constant at Napa County Emergency Services for more than 20 years, overseeing important training operations to ensure the next generation of law enforcement and emergency services have the tools they need.
“It is my honor to recognize Napa Police Detective Garrett Smith and Scott Rose as our Public Safety Heroes for Napa County,” said Thompson. “They have dedicated their lives to keeping our community safe and have gone above and beyond in their public service throughout their careers. We are proud to have such heroes in our community and thank them for their service.”
In additions to the 11 honorees from each of the counties Thompson represents, Thompson also honored celebrity chefs Jose Andres and Tyler Florence with a special Public Safety Hero Award in honor of their work to provide meals and support during the recent fires.
The full list of the Public Safety Heroes of the Year for the Fifth Congressional District is below:
- Chief Dean Colombo, Crockett-Carquinez Fire Department
- Officer Jennifer Witschi and her K9 partner, Milo, Pinole Police Department
- Chief Neil Gang, Pinole Police Department
- Deputy Marc De La Torre, Lake County Sheriff’s Office
- Chief Willie Sapeta, Lake County Fire Protection District
- Detective Garrett Smith, Napa Police Department
- Scott Rose, Napa Emergency Services
- Officer John Ehman, Vallejo Police Department
- Captain Patrick Wong, Vallejo Police Department
- Lieutenant Shawn Murphy, Sonoma County Sheriff’s Office
- Chief Mark Heine, Sonoma County Fire District
- Jose Andres, Celebrity Chef and local second responder
- Tyler Florence, Celebrity Chef and local second responder
Detective Garrett Smith